The Foundation of Student Horizons works proactively together with schools and community members to identify youth who are most likely to benefit through support from the Foundation.
Identified students are then put forward, through an application process. Once all relevant forms and reports have been collated, the referring teacher has to submit completed application to email@example.com.
The Foundation of Student Horizons welcomes your support and provides a number of donation options for donors who wish to give to the Foundation. These include and are not limited to:
- Direct Sponsorship
- Establishment of Scholarships
- Gifts in kind and
- Crowd Funding
At the current stage The Foundation of Student Horizons only accepts online donations.
Make a quick and easy tax-deductible donation through our secure website. All data is encrypted to ensure your privacy.
All donations over $2 are fully tax deductible. If you make a one-off donation online, you will be receipted instantly via email.
Yes, 100% of your money goes to students tour costs. We cover all administrative costs, so every cent you donate goes directly to the students’ tour costs, so more horizons can be broadened.
The following Criteria must be met to ensure a successful application.
- Applicants must be secondary school students, aged between 13 and 18 years old, inclusive, at the return date of the proposed tour. Exceptions may be granted under extraordinary circumstances.
- Applicants must reside in Australia or New Zealand.
- Applicants should/will be students who are members of a family where one of the following circumstances apply:
- Generational unemployment; where the sole parent or both parents are on government benefits, the applicant is in foster care; or the care of a grandparent or grandparents who are aged/disability pension recipients; or hold a Community Services Card.
- Other factors considered would include:
- The student’s particular housing circumstances e.g. public or community housing, temporary accommodation (caravan, mobile home).
- Other exceptional circumstances that the referees have evidenced in their supporting documents accompanying the application. Suffice to say the onus will be on the referees to clearly articulate the student’s current circumstances and the importance of them participating in the tour.
- Each applicant requires at least two (2) references to confirm the student’s current circumstances, one referee from the school (Deputy Principal, School
Principal, School Counsellor, Director of Co-curricular or School Chaplain) and one independent referee from the community (Community Development Programme Provider, Police Officer, Community Council etc.). Reports from referees listed in application:
- Good Behaviour Report (max. 600 words) – this may highlight good behaviour, engagement in extra co-curricular activities, attendance record of the student.
- Benefit Report (max. 600 words) – How will the tour benefit the student?
- Applicant report (max. 800 words) – A report that highlights the student’s background, and the benefit they believe they would get from the overseas tour. Applicants are also required to demonstrate what plans they have, or have done, to try and raise money for the tour / or why it won’t be possible for them to raise money e.g. all their part-time work income goes to the family, or their educational commitments are such it makes it impossible to undertake part-time employment.
Tour leader/teacher in charge of tour must provide the following documentation if application has been successful. The Foundation of Student Horizons will need to be satisfied that the safety standards of the tour operator meet the requirements of The Foundation of Student Horizons.
The tour leader must provide details to show that the selected Tour Operator meets the minimum safety and business criteria:
- Transport audit: Commercially operated, registered and insured transport
- Commercially operated accommodation.
- Fully detailed activities/itinerary
- Minimum adult to student ratio of 1:12
- Full Comprehensive Group Travel Insurance
- Appropriate Risk Management Plan
- Contract/Confirmation Letter
Transfer of the bursary amount into the candidate’s school account will occur upon The Foundation of Student Horizons receiving the final tour documentation.
For more information, please contact us.
All applications will need to be submitted by either the 1st of June or the 1st of December.
AM I ELIGIBLE?
The Foundation of Student Horizons provides financial support to those students with significant financial hardship.
NOMINATING A STUDENT
We work proactively together with schools to identify youth who are most likely to benefit through support from the foundation.
STUDENT TRAVEL BURSARIES
The Foundation of Student Horizons helps to make educational travel and experiential learning possible for disadvantaged youth.